Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I need to make a white pastry cream, meaning not yellow. Is there a recipe that doesnt use too many eggs?

I am making a patriotic cake. I made a homemade white cake, and tinted half the better red, and the other blue. Now I need white, and every pastry cream I made is way too yellow. Is there a recipe for a filling that taste just as good but not as yellow? I would really appreciate that help! Thank You!!I need to make a white pastry cream, meaning not yellow. Is there a recipe that doesnt use too many eggs?
Well pastry cream is essentially a thickened custard, and you need a fair amount of eggs for it to set. I would try finding egg replacement that looks lighter than eggs, or just make a proper custard but with lots of cornstarch, then mix it with alot of cream. Another option is to just use a stabilized whipped cream.I need to make a white pastry cream, meaning not yellow. Is there a recipe that doesnt use too many eggs?
I would just use a white buttercream or real whipped cream to fill it. Also, you can buy white food coloring from Wilton that is meant to whiten frostings and things like that. If you use that, stir it into your finished, cooled pastry cream.





But don't use creme anglaise; it's waay too runny for a cake filling, and is about the same color as pastry cream. And I wouldn't sub egg whites for the whole eggs/egg yolks. That would take care of the color issue, but would change the texture of your pastry cream since the whites have much more protein than yolks.
Use the whites only with twice as many eggs you get with whole ones to compensate.





And hold your Yolks for a cheese melt sandwich with butter spices and garlic; or Yolks for batter for a Fish Cake or crab cake batter with Flour breadcrumbs, peppers, Garlic, and onions.





Is that better?
vanilla pudding?





custards normally have more egg yolks than pastry cream...





try a recipe for creme anglaise...it is a runny version of pasty cream





I know in Western Canada our yolks aren't very yellow,so when I make pastry cream it is still a beige/cream colour

No comments:

Post a Comment